Thursday, October 21, 2010

Teach poetry?.... ME?!

When I see the word  “Poetry” I am intimidated. Immediately I think: “Well, I will read this chapter, but I know that I won’t be using this genre and I don’t think I will teach my kids poetry!”  In High School, and even in college, the only time poetry was meaningful in a class was when the teacher was able to make connections for us to the words.  My leap therefore is: I am not a gifted enough student to make these connections on my own…so I could never make those connections for my kids so… I shouldn’t even attempt to do it.
What I appreciate about this chapter is that it reminds me that poetry can be about you, the person.  The lessons and poetry represented in this chapter are accessible to everyone. I really liked the Acrostic poems because I think they would be a great way for ENL students to express themselves using simple words that they may already know.  It would also be a great way for them to introduce themselves and their background to the class.  Loved it!
The more time I spent thinking about my positive experiences surrounding poetry the more I am convinced that poetry can be a great community builder! AND I also think that they would be great first week activities for the class to get to know each other.  Because it helps students express themselves it could also be a great way in which to deal with a death in the school or a tragic current event. Options are unlimited.

So I guess the questions remains: Why not teach poetry?

Keeping with the spirit of the chapter I would like to share one of my favorite poems by Mary Oliver:
Wild Geese

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

8 comments:

  1. Amy, I love that you included a favorite poem when you stated that poetry is not your thing. I think it must be if you have a favorite poem!!

    I too use to fear poetry. Even in high school I would resort to Shel Silverstein because it was the only poetry I thought I could understand (not that there is anything wrong with Shel Silverstein haha). But I am glad to see that you have broadened your horizons and have chose to take on a fear of yours for the sake of teaching! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That poem you shared was very inspiring for me. I always have liked poetry, even if I couldn't understand it. If meanings were difficult I would accept the challenge to dig deeper and appreciate the underlying themes. Sometimes we are more capable than we really know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing who you are by including your favorite poem!

    I agree that some poems are great for ENL because they also have an opportunity to write down something meaningful and artistic. Acrostic, haikus, or the list are great examples. Also ideal for k-2 students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, thank you for sharing that poem! How inspiring that someone who fears poetry at times can find such a deep meaning in poetry and apply it to your life! I love that you found a deeper appreciation for poetry in this chapter. I felt the exact same way as you before reading...intimidated and frustrated that I could never seem to grasp the "deep" meanings of poetry, but your post was such an encouragement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your heart for ENL students shines through so brightly! I love that you are ALWAYS looking for effective ways to teach, relate, and understand them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,
    I love your poem. Also thought that it was ironic that you thought that you did "get" poetry but were willing to choose a favorite. I think that it speaks to your open mindedness! I like poetry as a genre for the opposite reason of why so many do not feel connected to it. It can be sooo simple! My daughter wrote and illustrated a whole little book about a cat, a rat, on a mat. So simple yet such an accomplishment. And I think that the children know that a poem is special and if they make one then they feel the success of having done something special. Plus I think that the rhyme, rythm, and timing can help facilitate fluency;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right that poetry can be a great tool for students to share who they are in fun times (like meeting each other) and a great tool to have available for some who are looking for an outlet in a hard time.

    And I think your point about being able to make connections from the poetry is not uncommon at all -- I know I've felt this too. It makes sense that it would sometimes be hard as some poets rely so heavily on their context (which requires research) and try to veil their meanings that sometimes it's like interpreting Jersey dirt. Anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is that I think you'd be a great teacher of poetry in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete